Sliding glass doors look amazing, especially if you want a unique outdoor view from inside the kitchen or patio. Today, sliding doors have become popular and are replacing traditional hinged doors installed in old-fashioned homes.
Nevertheless, sliding glass doors have their challenges. These accessories can collect dirt and debris along the tracks and cause inconveniences while opening and closing.
When glass doors collect enough dirt, grime, or debris, the rollers will seize to slide efficiently. Thus, you need to clean the tracks immediately. Overlooking the cleaning process over time can cause the door to finally jam.
Fortunately, this article looks at how to clean sliding glass door tracks using the most effective techniques.
Here are other reasons you should regularly clean track of sliding glass doors.
- For the door to slide smoothly
- To prevent the tracks and rollers from getting damaged
- To prevent using excess force to open the door which can break the door panel
- Cleaning sliding glass door tracks prevents dirt from entering the house
Step-by-step Process of How to Clean Sliding Glass Door Tracks
Always clean patio sliding door tracks regularly with natural home remedies to maintain their performance and prevent damaged door panels.
- Vacuum cleaner
- Dry cloth
- Soft brush
- Dishwashing soap
- Baking soda
- Vinegar/ hydrogen-peroxide
- Silicone lubricant
- Spray bottle
The cleaning process involves five significant steps.
- Step One – Remove loose debris
- Step Two – Disinfect the tracks
- Step Three – Scrub the dirt
- Step Four – Dry the tracks
- Step Five – Lubricate the track
Cleaning Techniques of Sliding Glass Door Tracks
But what is the importance of cleaning sliding glass door tracks? Most homeowners usually forget to clean the patio sliding door tracks while cleaning the house. Also, most people think sliding door tracks do not collect dirty.
Remember that these fittings will collect a lot of dirt along the tracks since the rails are lubricated. In addition, the continuous opening and closing of glass doors can transform the lubricant into dark grime. Therefore, it is necessary to clean the tracks whenever you are cleaning the house.
Average time: Approximately 20 minutes
- Suck all loose debris from the tracks with a vacuum cleaner.
- Mix detergent with clean water in a spray bottle and spray the tracks.
- Use a toothbrush to clean the sliding glass door tracks.
- Use a wet cloth to soak the excess soap.
- Repeat step 4 above on both sides of the track while sliding the door back and forth 6-12 times.
- Use a dry cloth to pat the excess water on the track until it is dry.
- Lubricate the sliding door tracks after it is dry.
- Slide the door continuously until the rollers are also lubricated.
- Get the gunk out of a sliding door track using a vacuum cleaner.
- Pour enough baking soda over the door tracks.
- Mix equal parts vinegar or hydrogen peroxide with water in a spray bottle.
- Spray over the track and let it sit for approximately 10 minutes until fizzing stops.
- Use a soft brush to clean the sliding glass door tracks. But make sure to cover all the sides and rollers.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe off the dirt.
- Allow the tracks to air dry.
- Apply enough silicone lubricant into the track.
- Remember to wipe the glass frame after cleaning the door tracks.
- Simple cleaning should be done once a week, while deep cleaning should be done after every 1-2 months, depending on the amount of traffic.
Maintenance Tips For Your Sliding Door Track
Maintaining a sliding door is necessary to prevent gunk buildup and track damage. Here are a few maintenance tips that guarantee extended service.
- Use a soft brush to clean the sliding glass door tracks.
- Always remember to lubricate a sliding door track with the recommended hardware grease.
- Make sure to use a damp cloth to clean the hinges and any metallic hardware.
- Check the gasket regularly to ensure it is in excellent condition.
- Do not use harsh commercial chemicals to clean the glass door tracks.
- Consult a reliable door repair company near you in case of problems.
Daily Cleaning Hacks For Your Sliding Door Tracks
There is a simple 4-step 2-minute hack to get the gunk out of a sliding door track if you do not have enough time.
- Place a sponge over the track and mark each track section.
- Cut each section deep enough (but not all the way through) using a knife.
- Dip the sponge in water and wring it.
- Pour enough liquid dishwashing soap on the sponge and wipe the tracks from one end to the other.
The sliding door will serve you better if you regularly clean patio sliding door tracks. You won’t have to worry about repairing damaged frames or dealing with broken hardware.
The two methods discussed above are straightforward and will help you efficiently clean the track of a sliding glass door.
For more information, call 24hr Sliding Door Repair at (877) 299-9179 for deep cleaning of the tracks and glass door maintenance.